[pdftex] Very basic questions on pdfTeX installation

Mark Wroth mark at astrid.upland.ca.us
Sat Jan 6 03:16:48 CET 2007

Some general comments:

    * PDFTeX is TeX plus ... you (incidentally) get a standard
      installation of TeX, plus the ability to generate PDF directly.
      That makes it slightly /more/ complicated at some levels.
    * On the other hand, you only need PDF software to display the
      output, so instead of (at least) one dvi-2-screen converter and
      (at least) one dvi-to-print converter, you only need your PDF reader
    * Size will be driven by choices you make about "ancillary" files --
      fonts and style files.  My installation is about 412 MB in just
      under 20,000 files -- but if you were trimming it for minimum
      footprint it could be a lot smaller (at the loss of some options)