[pdftex] PTEX.FileName contains file system information

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Aug 7 22:11:28 CEST 2007

Stephan Hennig writes:
 > Reinhard Kotucha schrieb:

 >> If you are concerned about security you should encrypt the file.
 >> This is the only way to make a PDF file "readonly".  A very good tool
 >> is pdftk.

 > What kind of encryption do you have in mind (I do not really know much
 > about PDF encryption)?  Does Adobe's access control prevent someone from
 > looking at a file with an editor?

You still can load an encrypted file into your favorite editor but...

 > Speaking about file encryption, for most of my files, I do not like to
 > distribute a password along with the file.  Anybody, even search
 > engines, should by able to read the files I put into public without any
 > barrier.

pdftk allows you to set an owner password and/or a user password.

If you only set the owner password, the file is encrypted and no
modifications are allowed.  But the recipient doesn't have to enter a
password.

However, you can bother people by setting a user password.

Encrypted files have a lot of restrictions and you have to tell pdftk
to allow certain things.  Printing is disallowed by default if the
file is encrypted.  If you want to allow printing, say:

  pdftk infile.pdf output outfile.pdf owner_pw "YzkQh5e" allow Printing

See http://accesspdf.com/pdftk

pdftk can do much more.

Regards,
  Reinhard