[pdftex] jbig2enc generated pictures included by pdftex?

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Mon Sep 18 19:06:16 CEST 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Petr Sojka wrote:

> has anybody managed to include pictures (PDF or JPEG chunks) created
> by jbig2enc (www.imperialviolet.org/binary/jbig2enc.html) using
> pdftex? Any working examples to follow? (I've noticed w32tex mentions
> linking jbig2enc in the changelog).

just create black and white thresholded .ppm files, and then you can
compress multiple pages into one .jbig2 file with the jbig2 tool, e. g.
by this Makefile entry:

jb2enc.jb2:     jb2enc1.ppm jb2enc2.ppm
        jbig2 -s jb2enc1.ppm jb2enc2.ppm > $@

then the pdfTeX primitives

\pdfximage page 1 {jb2enc.jb2} \pdfrefximage \pdflastximage
\pdfximage page 2 {jb2enc.jb2} \pdfrefximage \pdflastximage

should include both graphics. Similar with \includegraphics for
pdfLaTeX.

Regards, Hartmut