[pdftex] Adobe Times instead of Nimbus fonts

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 5 08:51:15 CEST 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>  > Your old trusty real Adobe Times may lack a Euro glyph as well as
>  > Cyrillic, etc. that the URW fonts provide.
>
> No, the URW fonts do not provide Cyrillc.  See
>
>    fonts/afm/urw/times/utmr8a.afm
>
> There is an extended version in the Ghostscript distribution where
> someone added cyrillic glyphs.  Unfortunately he did not rename the
> fonts files and did not change /FontName.  Even worse, he did not
> change the /UniqueID.  Though this is permitted by the GPL, it was a
> bad idea.

I was bitten by this last month.  In fact the fonts in the AFPL
Ghostscript distribution (at least in the Windows installer and at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/support/ghostscript/AFPL/fonts/) are the
original versions without cyrillic.  Linux distros tend to have a package
called urw-fonts and be set up to use that rather than the Ghostscript
fonts: the GPLed versions of ghostscript come with a different version
comtaining cyrillic.

So what got me was a Linux user assuming his ghostscript fonts were
available to all ghostscript users.  (I use Linux, but have AFPL
ghostscript installed from the sources.)

> Though I appreciate adding cyrillic, with /FontName and /UniqueID
> unchanged the fonts are to be regarded as beeing broken.

This forces you to embed the fonts if you want to use cyrillic, but
that is a good idea since URW fonts should not be assumed in most
environments.

> The fonts on CTAN are the original ones as provided by URW and
> maintained by Walter Schmidt.  Maintenance here means to make sure
> that people get the original fonts with the reqired tfm and vf files.
>
> The Adobe fonts and the URW fonts are not identical.

Not even their dimensions are (as given by the .afm files).

[...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk