[pdftex] Adobe Times instead of Nimbus fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu May 4 22:40:53 CEST 2006

  > Your old trusty real Adobe Times may lack a Euro glyph as well as
  > Cyrillic, etc. that the URW fonts provide.

No, the URW fonts do not provide Cyrillc.  See

    fonts/afm/urw/times/utmr8a.afm

There is an extended version in the Ghostscript distribution where
someone added cyrillic glyphs.  Unfortunately he did not rename the
fonts files and did not change /FontName.  Even worse, he did not
change the /UniqueID.  Though this is permitted by the GPL, it was a
bad idea.

Though I appreciate adding cyrillic, with /FontName and /UniqueID
unchanged the fonts are to be regarded as beeing broken.

The fonts on CTAN are the original ones as provided by URW and
maintained by Walter Schmidt.  Maintenance here means to make sure
that people get the original fonts with the reqired tfm and vf files.

The Adobe fonts and the URW fonts are not identical.  The URW Type1
fonts had been converted from another font format.  Their quality is
quite high, but there are some glitches, though.

The Euro symbol is supported by several packages which provide LaTeX
macros and the required Type1 fonts.

  > If you want to be certain about what pdftex is doing, you can use
  > \pdftexmapfile{} commands to load precisely the map files you want
  > your document to use.  This makes your document independent of the
  > decisions made by the packager of your distribution.

It's best to configure the map files (updmap).  If you say
\pdftexmapfile{} and \pdfmapline{....} and give the .tex file someone
else, he probably gets nothing unless he has the Adobe fonts
installed.  However, in some cases this behaviour is desired.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25