[pdftex] Adobe Times instead of Nimbus fonts

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu May 4 19:35:27 CEST 2006

On 5/4/06, nguyen2 at watserv1.uwaterloo.ca <nguyen2 at watserv1.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Deat pdftex members:
>
> I'm using pdflatex with Miktex (mainly Beamer with Times.sty and
> mathtime.sty) which replaces Adobe Times with Nimbus. How do I get back
> to my old trusty real Adobe Times? I do own both the Adobe Times and
> YandY MathTime fonts. Is there an easy way to get rid of the Nimbus
> fonts?

Your old trusty real Adobe Times may lack a Euro glyph as well as
Cyrillic, etc. that
the URW fonts provide.

Are you sure the font replacement is in pdftex?  Normally, the Times
font is not embedded, as it is supplied by the pdf viewer.  Some
people use the URW fonts under their URW names to force embedding
because there are problems if you let the viewer subsitute fonts.

If you need more than vary general help you should post a sample
document together with the section of the log file showing that pdftex
is embedding the fonts.  The Adobe viewer can display a table showing
which fonts are embedded and which fonts are used.    There is also a
command-line program called "pdffonts".

> Nothing wrong with the Nimbus, I suppose, but I just get hooked with
> Times and don't want to change. I understand that someone might say this
> is a MikTeX question, but I take my chance asking this group first.
> Thank you.

I don't have MikTeX at the moment, and I can't remember how MiKTeX
handles fonts maps, but the basic approach will be the same
everywhere: track down which map file is loading the nimbus fonts and
adjust the configuration so it is replaced with one that loads the
Adobe fonts.  On a system that uses updmap (tetex based systems), this
is controlled by updmap.cfg, which has:

# Which fonts for the "Basic 35 Laserwriter Fonts" do you want to use and
# how are the filenames chosen? Valid settings:
#   URW:     URW fonts with "vendor" filenames (e.g. n019064l.pfb)
#   URWkb:   URW fonts with "berry" filenames (e.g. uhvbo8ac.pfb)
#   ADOBE:   Adobe fonts with "vendor" filenames (e.g. hvnbo___.pfb)
#   ADOBEkb: Adobe fonts with  "berry" filenames (e.g. phvbo8an.pfb)

With all the possibilities, and the fact that different programs
(dvips, pdftex, and dvipdf) use map file formats differ, and you can
see the need for the updmap tool.

If you want to be certain about what pdftex is doing, you can use
\pdftexmapfile{} commands to load precisely the map files you want
your document to use.  This makes your document independent of the
decisions made by the packager of your distribution.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia