[pdftex] New to pdftex question/problem

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Aug 31 21:13:20 CEST 2006

  > I used fink to install the latest version of tetex on MacOSX 10.4
  > on an intel machine: pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
  > kpathsea version 3.5.4

  > Subsequently, I ran texconfig-sys init successfully.

  > To learn how to start using pdfetex, etc., I download the manual
  > source; read the README and attempted a "make pdftex-s.pdf"

  > I get errors like: \pdfminorversion is an undefined control
  > sequence \pdfelapsedtime is an undefined control sequence

The documentation and sample files you donwnloaded is newer than the
pdftex program provided by teTeX.

There is no reason to install a newer pdftex.  There are indeed a few
new control sequences and \pdfminorversion has been added as a
replacement for \pdfoptionpdfminorversion.

I suggest to look into the documentation provided by teTeX.  It's in
.../share/texmf-dist/doc/pdftex .

The files in this directory should work.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25