[pdftex] New to pdftex question/problem

W. Craig Carter ccarter at mit.edu
Thu Aug 31 20:17:24 CEST 2006

I've decided to try and switch from latex ->
dvi -> ps -> pdf to pdftex. I've hit a hurdle
out of the gate....

I used fink to install the latest version of
tetex on MacOSX 10.4 on an intel machine:
pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
kpathsea version 3.5.4

Subsequently, I ran texconfig-sys init
successfully.

To learn how to start using pdfetex, etc., I
download the manual source; read the README
and attempted a "make pdftex-s.pdf"

I get errors like:
\pdfminorversion is an undefined control sequence
\pdfelapsedtime is an undefined control sequence

I can ignore the errors and get to a pdf, but
upon further reading, I reckon that these
primitives should be defined in pdftex.

I get similar errors trying to compilke the
sample.

Before I try to download from src and
overwrite my tetex distribution, I am hoping
that someone can tell me what is going wrong.

Many Thanks, Craig Carter