[pdftex] Alignment bug with pdftex?

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Thu Aug 31 19:04:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, David Allsopp wrote:

> I'm using MiKTeX 2.4.1461 on Windows XP but a quick test on another machine
> shows that MiKTeX 2.5 exhibits exactly the same effect. In fact, the same
> thing happens with Web2C 7.4.5 under Debian.
>
> When Test.dvi is produced using pdfTeX, the output is as expected with the
> right-hand vertical segment lining up correctly with the right-hand corner
> piece above it.
>
> Now change \pdfoutput to 1 and rerun to produce Test.pdf --- the vertical
> segment no longer lines up. Given that this is being done using \hfill glue,
> I can't see what's going wrong. It's a little confusing given that the DVI
> file produced by pdfTeX is correct but the PDF file is not. On my system the
> output from the \pdfoutput=1 case is:
>
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a (MiKTeX 2.4) (Test.tex
> [1{psfonts.map}] )<C:\texmf\fonts\type1\bluesky\cm\cmr10.pfb>
> <C:\localtexmf\fonts\pk\ljfour\public\niceframe\dpi1200\umrandb.pk>
> Output written on Test.pdf (1 page, 5197 bytes).
> Transcript written on Test.log.

it looks perfect here with pdftex-1.40.0-beta-200608.22 both as .dvi in
the xdvi viewer and as .pdf in the xpdf viewer. It's also ok after
printout on a 1200 dpi printer, using the umrandb.pk Font. Maybe it's a
display rounding error of your viewer? Does the problem vanish when you
zoom in? Does it also look wrong in print? Then it might also be a
MikTeX problem (one can only guess as long as you don't present more
details like a screenshot or your .pdf output file).

Regards, Hartmut