[pdftex] Alignment bug with pdftex?

David Allsopp dra-news at metastack.com
Thu Aug 31 16:48:09 CEST 2006

I'm using MiKTeX 2.4.1461 on Windows XP but a quick test on another machine
shows that MiKTeX 2.5 exhibits exactly the same effect. In fact, the same
thing happens with Web2C 7.4.5 under Debian.

When Test.dvi is produced using pdfTeX, the output is as expected with the
right-hand vertical segment lining up correctly with the right-hand corner
piece above it.

Now change \pdfoutput to 1 and rerun to produce Test.pdf --- the vertical
segment no longer lines up. Given that this is being done using \hfill glue,
I can't see what's going wrong. It's a little confusing given that the DVI
file produced by pdfTeX is correct but the PDF file is not. On my system the
output from the \pdfoutput=1 case is:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a (MiKTeX 2.4) (Test.tex
[1{psfonts.map}] )<C:\texmf\fonts\type1\bluesky\cm\cmr10.pfb>
<C:\localtexmf\fonts\pk\ljfour\public\niceframe\dpi1200\umrandb.pk>
Output written on Test.pdf (1 page, 5197 bytes).
Transcript written on Test.log.

If I download and install the Type1 version of the umrandb font then it
works --- is the misaligned behaviour of the pk font a bug or "just the way
it is"?

David