[pdftex] How to set pdf link target view to one columnwidth in twocolumn mode

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 11:44:21 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:56:55PM -0700, josef dev wrote:
> none serves to set the link target so that it views the
> onecolumn text zoomed to fit to width instead of the entire two colmn page.

Well, I don't know how to do this in hyperref (and LaTeX,
for that matter), but the idea to place each target inside a
\vadjust and use the `fitr' target with \hsize for the width
(assuming \hsize is set to the column width by the double
column macros).  Basically, it looks like this, in plain TeX
code and using pdftex's primitives:

  text text text text text text text text text
  \vadjust{\hbox{\pdfdest name{first} fitr width \hsize}}%
  text text text text text text text text text

  text text text text text text text text text
  text text text text text text text text text
  \vadjust{\hbox{\pdfdest name{second} fitr width \hsize}}%
  text text text text text text text text text

I hope it is easy to adapt this to LaTeX/hyperref.  Of
course, you can define your macro to hide the \vadjust and
`fitr' details.  And don't forget that \vadjust does not
work in vertical mode -- maybe insert some check, or put
\leavevmode in front of \vadjust.

Hope this helps,
Oleg