[pdftex] Weird red boxes

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Sun Oct 30 00:46:58 CEST 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Jean Hoderd wrote:

> I have one problem.  My pdftex produces weird red boxes in the middle
> of the page.

it's the \scalebox{0.5}. The annotations are in a separate PDF area and
are unfortunately not scaled with the rest (current pdftex can't provide
this, technically), so the annotations move away from the section
numbers 1 and 2. To see this, try to set the \scalebox{} parameter to
values between 0.5 and 1...

> What is more strange is that they disappear when I try to print the
> document!

that't normal. The red boxes are only for clicking, screen navigation.

> First I thought it was a bug with Acrobat Reader, but xpdf also shows
> the same red boxes.  I hope you can give me some help with this,
> because I need to produce a PDF for a presentation, and the red boxes
> are really annoying.

try to avoid this picture scaling (e. g. by scaling the font inside the
picture). But anyway better for presentations use a LaTeX presentation
package like "beamer". Gives you many goodies (navigation, font scaling,
sequential page build-up, nice backgrounds and frames...).

Regards, Hartmut