[pdftex] pdftex = acrobat ?

Francesc Serra-Graells paco.serra at cnm.es
Sat Oct 22 01:20:40 CEST 2005

Rolf.Niepraschk at ptb.de wrote:
> Thierry wrote:
>
>> suppose I just want to make a PDF from a collection of JPEG files.
>> is there an easy way so that each page of the PDF has exactly the
>> cropbox set to the JPEG dimension?
>
> Do you mean something like this?
>
> % collection.tex
> \listfiles
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage[active,graphics,tightpage]{preview}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \includegraphics{pic1}
> \includegraphics{pic2}
> \includegraphics{pic3}
>
> \end{document}
> %----------------------
>
> pdflatex collection.tex
>
> ...Rolf

Apart from the excellent proposal from Rolf, and just to supply a practical
example for these two wonderful open source tools, you can try a non-LaTeX
solution:

ImageMagick
http://www.imagemagick.org

pdftk
http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk

MSWindows script example (e.g. jpg2pdf.bat):

cd "%1"
for %%I in (*.jpg) do "imagemagick-path\convert.exe" -compress jpeg "%%I"
pdf:"%%~dpnI.pdf"
"pdftk-path\pdftk.exe" *.pdf cat output "%1.pdf"

so, if the JPEG collection is in <path>, then:

jpg2pdf <path>

to obtain <path>.pdf! In fact, this method is valid for any file format
supported by ImageMagick, currently over 90 including GIF, JPEG, JPEG-2000,
PNG, PDF, PhotoCD, TIFF and DPX (see
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php).

Hope it is of interest...

Paco