[pdftex] Re: multiple embedded pdf figures

George White gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 21:21:49 CET 2005

On 11/25/05, ivo welch <ivowel at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi martin:  it isn't easy, or at least not obvious.  I did download 1.30.4,
> created a symbolic link from tetex's /usr/share to /usr/local/teTeX/share
> so
> that the configure would no longer complain, did a ./configure in src, and
> then a make.  alas, it dies with
>   make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/pdftex-1.30.4/src/texk/web2c'
>   make[2]: *** No rule to make target `bibtex.web', needed by `bibtex.p'.
> Stop.
> there is no such file bibtex.web in my existing tetex tree.  it's probably
> not a bug, just my ignorance.

If you rely on pdftex it is worth learning how to build and install an
update as they have been coming more frequently than new versions of
teTeX.

The pdftex-1.30.4 sources I've been using came with a script called Build that
runs configure and make in a separate tree so you can build for
multiple architectures.
The script builds pdftex and pdfetex.   I usually edit the Build
script to set the location
of the texmf tree and the name of the build directory.   I was using
early pdftex-1.30
versions with teTeX-3 but I switched to TeX Live around the time
1.30.4 came along,
and I haven't had time to check the docs that use R graphics (due to
time wasted
over a commercial Win32 program that puts "(() show" in PostScript files!).

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia