[pdftex] multiple embedded pdf figures

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 21:58:16 CET 2005

hi hans:  thank you for your help.  my OS is gentoo linux.  I was easily
able to upgrade to ghostscript-afpl 8.53.  thanks, gentoo.

alas, the old book.pdf file, created by pdfetex 1.21, with enclosed R
graphics files, still produces

Error: /typecheck in --lt--
Operand stack:
   --dict:6/6(L)--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   Color
--nostringval--   Rect   --nostringval--   Border   --nostringval--
--dict:8/12(L)--   (chapter.7)   Names   --nostringval--   0
--dict:2/2(L)--   (table.B.1)   --dict:8/12(L)--
Execution stack:

of course, because I have embedded pdf files, this error could be caused by
some of the embedded pdf files, and I would never know.  [Suggestion for
pdftex---is there any way that embedded filenames can be passed to
ghostscript, so that ghostscript tells me which file [or the main file] it
is carping about?  this may be technically totally unfeasible, given current
setup and level of difficulty to do this.]

so, my natural next try should be to try to upgrade pdftex.  this one is
scarier.  tetex upgrades are easy, because they are handled through gentoo.
but tetex 3.0 seems to be the latest version, and it is based on 1.21.

    - is this an easy binary replacement, or does it require a lot more
detail?  I guess I will try it,
          so I will find out.  :-).
    - will it likely do anything for me?  that is, if it creates a pdf file
that can be run through
         ghostscript, will this eliminate font duplicate name issues?

there are very few convenient book-on-demand printers.  the one I am using
is lulu, which seems to be among the bigger and more convenient ones.  It
charges about 10% above cost, which is also pretty good---an 800 page book,
perfect-bound, for around $20.  customers can purchase the book, it gets
printed and shipped by them.  nice.  I wish there was a more pdflatex
competent lulu.  Does anyone have good alternative book-on-demand printer
recommendations?

regards,

/iaw