AW: [pdftex] problems with natbib and hyperref

Wendel Moreira wendellopes at yahoo.com.br
Fri Mar 11 20:33:51 CET 2005

--- "Daly Dr., Patrick" <daly at linmpi.mpg.de> wrote:
> As the author of natbib, I point out that this is
> not a bug but a feature.

I spent a lot of time to get knowing the correlation
between the two things (natbib x hyperref), and when a
got knowing this I just thought: sure, if one compress
the reference citations some hyperlinks will be lost.
But for the result I'm interested, the best choice is
just compress together with the hyperlinks.

> With hyperref, the citations are links, but if you
> compress the multiple
> citation, say to 3-10, then the links to refs
> 4,5,6,7,8,9 are missing. For
> that reason I deliberately suppressed the
> compression option when hyperref is
> loaded. Many people complain about this.

yes, sure

> I could consider changing this if popular opinion
> really desires it, and
> people are willing to live with missing links.

I think you could (to make user's life easier) or put
a option (together with all the others),

\usepackage[hyperlink&compress]{natbib}

or in the easier way do a coment in the documentation
about the existence of hypernat.

\usepackage{hypernat}

> Regards,
> Patrick Daly