[pdftex] Pdflatex can't find Scandinavian letters in Type1 font

Juha-Mikko Ahonen jmz at iki.fi
Thu Jun 9 10:40:51 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with Pdflatex and Type1 fonts from Adobe.
I'm trying to produce text with Scandinavian latters with Pdflatex,
using Unicode encoding, and a Type1 font HelveticaNeue from Adobe. The
font contains Scandinavian letters, but as far as I can see, they're in
Unicode positions.

I get this error message in my the log file:
Missing character: There is no ö in font phnm8ax!
Missing character: There is no ä in font phnm8ax!

And the following error is reported by pdflatex:
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for phnm8ax.

Do you know how to get the font working with Pdflatex? It could be I've
installed it incorrectly. I have the following lines in my psfonts.map

phnb8ax HelveticaNeue-BoldExt <T1-WGL4.enc <phnb8ax.pfa
phnl8ax HelveticaNeue-LightExt <T1-WGL4.enc <phnl8ax.pfa
phnm8ax HelveticaNeue-MediumExt <T1-WGL4.enc <phnm8ax.pfa
phnx8ax HelveticaNeue-Extended <T1-WGL4.enc <phnx8ax.pfa

I have also tried to use 8r.enc encoding, but that didn't help. The
encoding T1-WGL4.enc is from http://ipe.compgeom.org/pdftex_1.html which
was about the only help I could find on installing Unicode fonts.

The system is Debian-based, using tetex-bin 3.0-3. The font works OK on
Apple, but there's not TrueType version available.

Any help is appreciated, as it's very important to me to get the font
working with Latex.

--
Juha-Mikko Ahonen <jmz at iki.fi>