[pdftex] pdflatex (file lsbr8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading

James Psota jim at csail.mit.edu
Fri Jul 29 02:54:03 CEST 2005

Hi All,

I have a pretty specific question, but perhaps one of you have come across
this...

I'm attempting to install a new font for use in latex on a linux system.
I've followed the instructions at
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/fonts/metrics/w-a-schmidt/lsb.txt to install
Linotype Sabon. When I use regular latex, things seem to work fine (I'm able
to see all fonts that I want to see, roman, bold, italic, etc.). However,
when I run pdflatex, it's unable to find a couple fonts (specifically, the
bold ones), but IS able to find the roman and italic ones.

ERRORS:

Warning: pdflatex (file lsbr8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
reading

Warning: pdflatex (file lsbb8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
reading

Is there something special I must do for pdflatex? (Let me know if I can
tell you anything about my system...) I'd really appreciate it if you could
offer any advice.

Thanks a lot,
Jim

FYI:
I have the latest version of teTeX:
# latex --version
pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) kpathsea version 3.5.4 Copyright
(C) 1997-2004 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is covered by the
terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING and
the pdfeTeX source.
Primary author of pdfeTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh
(pdfTeX).
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.