[pdftex] colorlinks=true in ps2pdf

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 28 23:44:59 CEST 2005

> On 7/28/05, Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:36:38AM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> >
> > > I know how to control many options in hyperref package. However, if I have
> > > foo.ps file only and want to convert it to foo.pdf using ps2pdf command, how
> > > can I control these options?
> >
> > The "hyperref" package is a macro package based on the TeX language,
> > especially the LaTeX format. But if you have a PostScript file for
> > converting to PDF, then TeX is not involved, but a PostScript
> > to PDF distiller program. The latter program usually doesn't
> > know about TeX, thus TeX code is not executed and so hyperref.
> > Therefore hyperref options don't make sense.
> >
> > Yours sincerely
> >   Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>
>

> Let me try to be more clear. There is foo.html and the friend of mine
> wants to convert it to foo.pdf, which on our computer can be done by
>
> html2ps foo.html > foo.ps
> ps2pdf foo.ps

if you'd said that to start with, we could have helped earlier.  as we
all suspected, it's nothing to do with tex ... not even slightly: you
could have got the correct sort of advice on comp.text.pdf

> Now links become boxed which is the default in pdf. However, he would
> like to have them colored instead. Is there a  way to do this and also
> set Document Properties without using Acrobat? I am aware that neither
> hyperref nor TeX are executed and \hypersetup is ignored but I wonder
> if it is possible to configure ps2pdf in the way that affects foo.pdf
> in the same way as \hyperrefsetup would affect it, if we started from
> foo.tex

nothing to do with ps2pdf

there's an adobe "standard" for putting acrobat stuff into structured
ps comments.  ghostscript comforms to this standard when distilling,
so the details come out as required.

so, modify html2ps to make it emit those comments, and you're done.

there was a time when i had the url for the adobe standard at my
fingertips, but even though i don't any more, i bet someone will be
along any minute.

robin