[pdftex] Tool for generating Adobe OpenType NFSS infrastructure

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 26 02:57:20 CEST 2005

	I figured I would take a moment to plug a tool that I wrote recently to
relieve much of the combinatorial burden of writing NFSS font descriptor
files for Adobe OpenType fonts by hand.  In particular, when faced with
building a font descriptor file for font families with Optical variants,
it has proven invaluable.  It naturally won't produce results as good as
you'll get with hand tuned encodings and hand written font descriptors,
but it is a good start.  It can be downloaded from

   http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/corpus/adobe-font-tool

Standard operation is quite simple, just put all your OpenType fonts in
a single directory, change to that directory and run "adobe-font-tool
*.otf".  The --help argument can be supplied for additional options.

For better or worse it is written in the language OCaml using the CaSH
package, so it might be non-trivial for some of you to install.  It is
licensed under the GPL and I would greatly welcome feedback on ways
that it could be improved.