[pdftex] Editing PDF LaTeX -> Acrobat

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 10:57:35 CET 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 pdf at futuristick.org wrote:
> Why aren't PDF files generated in LaTeX editable in Acrobat? In my case, I
> am using Acrobat 5.0, and yes, unfortunately, must work with a Windows
> system. There are various clients who submit LaTeX-generated PDFs, which
> are fine to use if they are 'perfect', but it is frustrating not being
> able to make changes to them in a Win32 environment.

Hello,

And what exactly do you mean by "editing PDF files". PDF files are
_supposed_ to be perfect and final, i.e. you should not be able to edit
anything in them, except meta-things, like annotations/comments,
attachments, various interactive objects etc etc. But the actual text
layout cannot be reflowed (except for this modern thing called "tagged
PDF" but as far as I know this is not yet supported by pdfTeX).

Imagine what a total disorder would there be if publishing houses started
editing author's submitted PDF files :) Instead, the original authors of
the PDF files should have the required typographical/typesetting skills if
they take upon themselves such a serious task as producing PDF documents :)

(smiles added to avoid flames --- I know my opinions are controversial and
should be taken with a "pinch of salt", as I normally take them myself :)

Kind regards
Tigran

=========
http://www.bibles.org.uk --- Bibles in PDF format (not editable :)