[pdftex] Re: char protrusion at par start

Morten Høgholm moho01ab at student.cbs.dk
Sat Oct 2 20:18:02 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:03:24 -0400, Alexandru Scorpan
<ascorpan at math.ufl.edu> wrote:

> I forgot to mention why this became such a sore sight:
> I am using parindent=0pt.  And it sucks.
>
> In the mean time, here's a hack I came up with:
> 	\newlength{\myParameter}
> 	\def\HackMeNow#1{%
> 		\setlength{\myParameter}{\the\lpcode\font`#1sp}%
> 		\kern-1500\myParameter
> 		#1}
> 	\everypar={\HackMeNow}

\everypar is *not* for use with LaTeX as it'll empty out its contents in
several places. Try running this small example:

\documentclass{article}

\everypar{?}

\begin{document}

First paragraph.

\everypar{?}

Some text here.

\section{Section}

First paragraph.

\everypar{?}

Next paragraph.

\begin{itemize}
   \item First item \everypar{?}

   New paragraph in same \verb|\item|
   \item Second item \everypar{?}
\end{itemize}

New paragraph.
\end{document}

So... unless you're willing to do some major surgery on all the commands
containing \everypar{} you might as well stop your approach now. :-(

> One clear problem is that this setting is completely oblivious to font
> sizes.  Thus, where is the current font size stored, so that I could use
> it to scale my hack?

\f at size expands to the font size.
--
Morten Høgholm