[pdftex] Font map files on Miktex

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Nov 19 12:40:17 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 10:02:55AM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 04:16, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> > > On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:44:02AM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
>
> It seems to me that the whole map file business could be simplified and
> enhanced by two changes:
>
> 1. Use a single map file for all purposes.  Having three separate map files
> seems a distinction without much difference. They are about 95% identical.

Things controlled by mapfiles include downloading of standard
fonts such as Times and choosing between MetaFont- or Type1
versions. You might have different preferences for different
situations. For printing to your own desktop printer with dvips,
you might choose using metafont versions and not include the
standard 35; for pdf for prepress, you should include everything
and avoid metafont, etc.

> 2. Designate with perhaps a % at the end those fonts actually available on
> the distribution when downloaded.  There are over 2100 fonts/variants
> described in a typical psfonts.map file, and it is a chore to search out
> which are available and which are not. On my miktex installation there are
> only 215 pfb files.  If the % is not practical then a separate listing
> could be included.

I was under the impression that miktex tries to keep the mapfiles
in sync with the installed fonts. Anyhow, miktex also supports
updmap.cfg, which lets you specify font groups and download
strategies. The miktex command for regenerating mapfiles is
initexmf --mkmaps.

--
Siep Kroonenberg