[pdftex] SVG creation: ?xfig.

Michael Chapman pdftex at mchapman.com
Sun Nov 14 16:42:57 CET 2004

If one just wishes to produce vector graphics then Xfig is quite nice, though
whether it has all the features you want . . .

It has a nasty non-scrollable list of 'export' formats, divided into Vector
and Raster. The truncated Vector list runs to 24 types and includes PDF
(which in my experience works nicely) and also SVG as a 'beta' which for me
produced output I could do nothing with. For non-web stuff though I just go
straight to PDF.
That was all with version 3.2.4 ---suspect the World may have moved on since
then.

Michael Chapman,
Culoz, France.

(One 'nice' use was to produce a vector graphic that I selected portions out
of with a Perl script, and then converted to a raster format with ImageMagick
to produce a video series of panning/zooming/rotating for a DVD.
(Zooming on a raster image is obviously fairly messy unless its v. high
definition and you do limited zooming . . . ))