[pdftex] Metafont/Metafun question.

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Nov 13 22:14:55 CET 2004

  > Are the graphics produced by Metafont vectored or bitmapped?  For
  > Metafun, same question.

Metafont produces bitmaps (.gf files, the compressed version has the
extension .pk).

Metapost produces PostScript and thus vector graphics.

Metafun is an extension to Metapost written by Hans Hagen.  It
provides additional features.

PSTricks is a TeX macro package which inserts PostScript code into the
.dvi file using TeX's \special primitive.  It doesn't work with pdftex
because it requires a PostScript interpreter, but you can use
pdftricks in this case.

XYpic is a TeX macro package.  It provides additional fonts which are
available as Type1 now, so everything is vectorized.

  > What kind of graphics are you producing, XY charts, flowcharts,
  > binary trees, technical diagrams?  Depending on your needs one
  > or the other of these packages could fit.

All TeX macro packages produce vector graphics, but the question was
how to produce SVG.

If I would need SVG I would first look at ImageMagick.  If this
doesn't work properly, subscribe to the developers mailing list.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25