[pdftex] errors from AR caused by color package

Ben Crowell pdftexcrowell04 at lightandmatter.com
Sun May 23 02:23:42 CEST 2004

Maarten wrote:
>Just a few quick checks: what version of pdf(la)tex do you use?
pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b
kpathsea version 3.4.5

>Why do you load the color package with RequirePackage, use
>\usepackage instead.
Oops, I messed up -- that was because I was trying to consolide the
.tex file and .cls file into a single file.

> It is possible that your installation doesn't
> autodetect the version of TeX it is running on, in that case try
> adding \usepackage[pdftex]{color}, instead of just \usepackage{color}
That was indeed why my attempt at making a minimal example gave
a different result. Thanks!

OK, now I'm able to make a minimal example that shows exactly what's
going on. Here's an example that produces the error in Acrobat
Reader:
  b.cls:
        \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
        \ProvidesClass{b}
        \LoadClass{book}
        \RequirePackage{titlesec,titletoc,color}
        \definecolor{egrulegray}{gray}{.6}
        \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
  b.tex:
        \documentclass{b}
        \begin{document}
           \color{egrulegray} foo
        \end{document}

Here's an almost identical example that does /not/ produce
the error in AR:
  b.cls:
        \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
        \ProvidesClass{b}
        \LoadClass{book}
        \RequirePackage{titlesec,titletoc,color}
        \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
  b.tex:
        \documentclass{b}
        \begin{document}
          \definecolor{egrulegray}{gray}{.6}
          \color{egrulegray} foo
        \end{document}

In other words, the error goes away if I move the definecolor
line from the .cls file to the .tex file. Does this make sense
to any of the TeXnicians out there? To me it seems utterly
mysterious.