[pdftex] errors from AR caused by color package

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun May 23 04:49:09 CEST 2004

    > Maarten wrote:
    >> Just a few quick checks: what version of pdf(la)tex do you use?
    > pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b kpathsea version 3.4.5

    >> Why do you load the color package with RequirePackage, use
    >> \usepackage instead.

\RequirePackage is supposed to be used in .cls and .sty files and
\usepackage should be used in .tex files.  AFAIK this is a convention
and they do the same thing.  I do not expext any problems here.

Please look at the logfiles to be sure that in both your examples
pdftex.def is loaded.

    > OK, now I'm able to make a minimal example that shows exactly
    > what's going on.

I'm using pdfTeX-1.20a, but I doubt that this is a pdfTeX problem.

This is what I've done:

1. I renamed the files of your first example to a.cls and a.tex.

2. I added \pdfcompression=0 to both .tex files.

3. Then I ran pdflatex on both examples.

4. I renamed the fonts in b.pdf to have the same random number as in
   file a.pdf (/QYOCQW+CMR10 -> /OPDPOY+CMR10) and stole the
   /CraetionDate and /ID from a.pdf and inserted them into b.pdf.

5. I ran "cmp a.pdf b.pdf" and the return value was 0, which means
   that the files are identical.

I suppose that your problem has nothing to do with pdfTeX, it's more
likely that a wrong driver file is loaded.

I recommend to rename the files of your first example to a.cls and
a.tex.  You have to edit the files (\documentclass{b} ->
\documentclass{a} in a.tex and \ProvidesClass{b} -> \ProvidesClass{a}
in a.cls).

Then run
     pdflatex a
     pdflatex b
     diff a.log b.log

Does it make a difference if you say
\RequirePackage[pdftex]{color} ?

Well, it shouldn't.  I'm using teTeX for more than 7 years now and I
never had to specify the driver explicitly for dvi or pdf output.  I
only have to specify the driver if I want to produce dvi output for
dvipdfm postprocessing.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25