[pdftex] how do I magnify PDF print size? (TeXShop question)

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue May 11 06:43:48 CEST 2004

Hello Paul,

On 11/05/2004, at 12:04 PM, Paul Campbell wrote:

> I edit a journal of undergraduate mathematics and typeset the issues
> in LaTeX, usually using Textures on a Mac (OS 10.2). I typeset at
> 100%, print to PS at 120% (set in Page Setup), then distill to PDF.
>
> A recent submission uses figures in PDF. Textures does not handle PDF
> directly; so rather than convert each figure to EPS, I experimented
> with TeXShop, which does handle PDFs.
>
> TeXShop produces PDF output, at 100%.
>
> ___Nothing I can do seems to be able to convert the PDF file to one
> that prints at 120%.___
>
> Nothing in TeXShop's Preferences affects page size magnification (only
> size displayed on screen).

This question would be better directed at the mailing-list:
         MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu

but I'll answer it here anyway.

> I took the PDF that TeXShop produced, printed it to file at 120% (in
> Page Setup), and still got the original size. That is frustrating!
> (Some might call it a bug; I call it an error by Acrobat, since I
> don't get what I should be able to expect.)

If you are printing from Acrobat, you might have one of the "Scale to
fit papersize"
(or somesuch) check-boxes selected. That might override your "Page
Setup" scaling.

But why is Acrobat involved at all ?
You can print from TeXshop's preview window;
the scaling is respected from there. (I just checked!)

Another solution is to generate the PDF with the scaling in-place.

Start your (La)TeX source with something like:

\mag=\magstep1  %  i.e. 120%
\advance\voffset-3cm
\advance\hoffset-2cm

In LaTeX, put this *before* the \documentclass line.

(The offset amounts are just guestimates, to counteract
scaling of the normal margins at the top and left.
Experiment a bit to ensure all of your contents remain
on the printable page.)

> I also printed from PDF to PS, then distilled it. Same result. Reason
> in that case, as I discovered in examining the PS file, is that
> Acrobat prints a bitmap to PS. No wonder it won't enlarge!
>
> Is there somewhere in the bowels of TeXShop where I can change the job
> options for its conversion to PDF?
>
> Can anybody help?

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114