[pdftex] PDF searchable in AAR 5.0.5 but not in AAR6.0.1?

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 15:26:24 CET 2004

Hi,

The file gnt.pdf which was produced by pdfLaTeX of TeXLive2003
distribution (under Linux) is searchable (by copy/paste-ing the Greek text
into appropriate entry in "Search" dialog) by Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0.5
(tested both under Linux and Win2000) but not with Adobe Acrobat Reader
6.0.1 (only Win2000 as there is no AAR6 for Linux).

What do you think could have caused this? And how should I make the file
searchable in AAR6?

Interestingly, tnk.pdf is searchable in AAR6 just fine. Both files are
downloadable from here:

  http://www.moses.uklinux.net/pdf/bible

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong to cause this problem would be
appreciated.

More generally, what do people normally use to produce a more "friendly"
way of searching documents containing foreign (i.e. non-latin, e.g.
Hebrew, Greek, Arabic etc) texts? For example, is there a way to design a
PDF Form which could take user input in some encoding and convert the
string into whatever encoding used by the PDF and find the occurrences of
the corresponding strings in the PDF file? Or is a separate utility
("tnkgrep" for tnk.pdf, "gntgrep" for gnt.pdf ...) required in each case?

Kind regards
Tigran