[pdftex] ratty fonts when importing pdftex output into Windows Journal

Cliff Bergman cbergman at iastate.edu
Sun Jun 20 23:51:14 CEST 2004

--On Saturday, June 19, 2004 11:21:36 AM +0200 Thomas Esser
<te at dbs.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> The .log files show that the new version uses a different pdftex.map
> file where the cm fonts are explicitly reencoded. Can you please check
> if the problem goes away if you copy the old pdftex.map into the current
> directory and then regenerate you files using the new pdftex (but the
> old map file)? Maybe, the converter has a problem with this reencoding.
>
> Thomas

Thomas to the rescue (again).

Yes, that fixes the problem. Interestingly, the "old" system (which was
from a tex-live disk) had two copies of pdftex.map, one in texmf, the other
in texmf-var. It is the one in texmf-var that is being used.

So what do you recommend that I do. Overwrite the new system's pdftex.map
file with the one from the old machine? Or do I need to somehow merge the
two files?

Thanks very much for your help on this.

Cliff Bergman
Department of Mathematics