[pdftex] Re: General Command to Change FONTS

Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren roffe at aqualene.uio.no
Sat Jul 24 10:43:51 CEST 2004

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> > oh, much better - there are empirical arguments.
>
> The (deleted) arguments are identical to the ones that were used
> in previous centuries against the (then new) roman types versus
> the (then common) fraktur typefaces.

those were probably rational rather than empirical arguments, then :)

Nazi Germany abandoned blackletter (fraktur) as its official textbook
font in 1941 when empirical research showed that one of the reasons why
German students were falling behind students of other nations was that
blackletter made for slower reading. The Jews were blamed for the
initial adaptation of blackletter, of course.

yes, this is off-topic, so I'll stop here.  there are other mailing
lists for typographical matters.

--
Rolf Lindgren                                            http://www.roffe.com/
roffe at tag.uio.no