[pdftex] Re: General Command to Change FONTS

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Jul 24 10:32:37 CEST 2004

> > > don't use sans serif for the main matter, it's bad typographic
> > > practice.
> >
> > Are their any rational arguments for this statement?
>
> oh, much better - there are empirical arguments.

The (deleted) arguments are identical to the ones that were used
in previous centuries against the (then new) roman types versus
the (then common) fraktur typefaces.

AFAIK, the only proven fact is that familiarity with a typeface
aids reading speed at the cost of decreasing attentiveness (due to
reduction of your brain's active involvement in the reading process).

Specifically, I do not know about any quantified letter form research
that does not add a disclaimer along the following lines:

  "results may be skewed (by an unknown amount) due to different
   amounts of previous exposure"

Which is identical to:

  "after testing a lot of american people, we have concluded that
   english is the most natural of all human languages"

Until proven otherwise, I do not believe that there are rational
arguments, only empirical ones. That does not make the empirical
argument invalid, however.

Greetings, Taco