[pdftex] Spot colors

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Fri Jan 16 13:01:29 CET 2004

Thierry Bouche wrote:
> Well, being neither a normal latex user nor a prepress professional,
> I'm somewhat lost in color spaces.
>
> My specific problem has been that, in two occurences, I wanted to
> produce a book with black as the main color and a second pantone
one.
> As long as only tex is concerned, it is easy to use a named color
> with a cmyk value for previewing, and either separating in tex by
> saying pantone=white for one pass, and black=white/pantone=black for
> the second one ; or pantone=cyan and explaining things to the
printer
> (although this one seems to generate 4 plate in DTP systems
> anyway...). Also, the second color was used at various percentages.

If your printer produces four plates then blame him. It's one of the
easiest tasks when separating colour. Also percentages doesn't mind.
Just use them.
The only thing to keep in mind is that your printer uses the correct
angle. But he's the pro and he/she should know ...

> Well, but how do you use consistently a two color model when you
also
> have images from photoshop/illustrator?

If you take cyan for your pantone then of course the same is true for
photoshop/illustrator. Consistency is the magic word here.

You or your printer can use third party software like Pitstop too.
Then you can even change globally cyan to pantone.

Ulrich Dirr