[pdftex] Pls explain to me: Warning: pdflatex (file f7b6d320.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jan 4 03:38:54 CET 2004

    > At 11.11 21/12/03, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
    >> It might be possible that you have two TeX versions installed.

    > Is this a problem?

There should be no problems if both versions are complete or at least
the version which is found first in $PATH is complete.

    > How do I check?

    >> You can run "texconfig confall" to find out whether TeX looks
    >> into some strange directories.

    > This is what I got. I am not sure how to understand it.

All binaries are found in the same directory.  Looks good.

    > As a matter of fact: on the server there is nor a
    > /var/www/html/chiari/texmf directory neither a
    > usr/local/share/texmf one.  There is not a teTex sub-directory
    > under /usr/share/texmf.

/usr/share/texmf is the directory which contains all platform
independent files.

    >> If nothing else helps you can compile teTeX from scratch.  This
    >> is amazingly easy, assuming that RedHat's C-compiler is not
    >> broken again.

    > How can I check?

Get the teTeX sources and read the file QuickInstall.

    > Can I put everything under my personal directory
    > /var/www/html/chiari? Am I going to mess up with other users (of
    > my IPS'server)? (I am not going to delete/overwrite anything
    > which is on the server)

If the system is configured properly, you shouldn't expect any
problems.

I wonder why someone would like to have TeX files in an HTML
directory.  I would put "HOMETEXMF=$HOME/texmf;export HOMETEXMF"
(without the quotes) into my ~/.profile and install all my personel
files there.

BTW., this is the default in teTeX.

    > More importnat, I would rather fix the
    > present (broken?) installation than to do a new one.

Use RedHat's package manager to uninstall teTeX.  Then install it
again and make sure that you install all TeX related packages.

If the directory is still missing, then it is very likely that other
files are missing as well.  Finding out which files are missing is
much more difficult than to install teTeX from scratch.  And you have
to install it to find out which files are missing.

You should then send a bug report to RedHat.

There is one thing you can try before:

      find /usr/share/texmf -name f7b6d320.enc

If the file exists on your system, it is probably sufficient to run
the program texhash (as root).

I cannot imagine that the file is missing.  Many people would have
complained.  But it is possible that the installation routine was
interrupted for some reason.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25