[pdftex] Pls explain to me: Warning: pdflatex (file f7b6d320.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading

Mario chiari.hm at flashnet.it
Fri Jan 2 17:11:25 CET 2004

Reinhard, George,

Thanks
(and happy new year to you and all).

Please, some more advise.

At 11.11 21/12/03, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>     > /usr/share/texmf/dvips/ contains: base bluesky config gsftopk
>     > misc psfrag pstricks xypic
>
>It might be possible that you have two TeX versions installed.

Is this a problem? How do I check?

>You
>can run "texconfig confall" to find out whether TeX looks into some
>strange directories.

This is what I got. I am not sure how to understand it.

====  binaries found by searching $PATH
tex:    /usr/bin/tex
etex:   /usr/bin/etex
pdftex: /usr/bin/pdftex
omega:  /usr/bin/omega
mf:     /usr/bin/mf
mpost:  /usr/bin/mpost
dialog: /usr/bin/dialog
dvips:  /usr/bin/dvips
xdvi:   /usr/bin/xdvi
kpsewhich:      /usr/bin/kpsewhich
mktexpk:        /usr/bin/mktexpk
mktextfm:       /usr/bin/mktextfm

=====  Kpathsea variables
TEXMF={!!/var/www/html/chiari/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf}

======  environment variables (ok if no output here)

====== search paths
          MetaPost support:
.:!!/var/www/html/chiari/texmf/metapost/support:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/metapost/support:!!/usr/share/texmf/metapost/support

snip

As a matter of fact: on the server there is nor a
/var/www/html/chiari/texmf directory  neither a usr/local/share/texmf one.
There is not a teTex sub-directory under /usr/share/texmf.

>If nothing else helps you can compile teTeX from scratch.  This is
>amazingly easy, assuming that RedHat's C-compiler is not broken
>again.

How can I check?

>teTeX itself always work.

Can I put everything under my personal directory /var/www/html/chiari? Am I
going to mess up with other users (of my IPS'server)? (I am not going to
delete/overwrite anything which is on the server) More importnat, I would
rather fix the present (broken?) installation than to do a new one.

At 20.16 21/12/03, ["George N. White III" <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>]  wrote:

 >Or get TeX Live 2003 which has binaries for many platforms.  It is
 >based on teTeX-2 but has more newer packages.

may I upload by telnet?

 >If you are using pdftex
 >you may want to get pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11b-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2),

I don't find a link. Btw, why do I need?

Thanks a lot
my best
mario