[pdftex] graphicx, pdftex and upper case extensions

Giampiero Salvi giampi at speech.kth.se
Tue Aug 24 16:54:19 CEST 2004

Hi,
My problem is that I an trying to import files with extension
.JPG (that is upper case .jpg). I am using teTeX 2.0.2 and
pdflatex with these commands:

\documentclass[a4paper]{report}
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.jpg,.JPG}
\includegraphics[scale=2.8]{0001.JPG}

As far as I understand, the extension (and thus file format) ".JPG"
is not defined, while ".jpg" is. Now, in normal conditions I would
have no problems changing the names of my files, but in this case
I need to read several thousand of them from a read-only device (it
is a result of scanning the old numbers of our internal publication).
Changing the names in this case would mean coping several hundreds Mb
of files.

Is there any reason why the uppercase versions of the extensions should
not be included in the pdftex.def file? Is there a work around to include
my files directly (I have no permissions to change the pdftex.def file
at my site).

Thank you for your help.
Giampiero