[pdftex] Pdflatex error: Bad metric (TFM) file

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Sun Aug 8 10:11:11 CEST 2004

Hello -- I googled for this problem with various keywords with no
luck...

I use several Type 1, TrueType and OpenType fonts with
pdflatex. TrueType fonts are converted to Type 1 with ttf2pt1 and
OpenType with otftotfm. The problem is that almost all of these fonts
work with latex but some of these fonts do not work with pdflatex.
A typical error message is:

  ! Font \csname\endcsname=LY1-Jenson-Regular--fonum--base at 17.28pt
  not loadabl e: Bad metric (TFM) file.

My pdflatex is pdfTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11b.

The TFM file exists and appears to be ok -- indeed latex does not find
any problem. This problem seems to happen particularly more likely
with Adobe OpenType fonts (the above error is obtained with Adobe
Jenson installed with otftotfm). However, there are some Adobe
OpenType fonts that do not cause this error, such as Adobe Garamond
and Prestige Elite, converte with otftotfm in the same way, with same
file name convention and almost identical fd file definitions.

Besides Adobe OTF fonts, I found two cases that caused the analogous
errors.  One was Goudy Sans freely available for download from
FontSite, and another is Bitstream Frutiger. These fonts work fine
with other applications, such as Openoffice.

I prefer to use pdflatex for everything I do, so I would really like
to find a way to fix this problem. But I don't know what to
fix/test/whatever next.

Thank you!

Ryuji Suzuki