[pdftex] Speeding up PDFLaTeX by skipping file inclusion

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 15 08:29:25 CEST 2003

\> >>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin  <catch22 at fastmail.fm> writes:

>     > "K.R.Subramanian" wrote (by email) I believe you have to do
>     > pdflatex twice (just like you do latex twice above) to get all
>     > the references and citations straightened out. If you can use
>     > jpg, use that, as the files are quite compact.
>
>     > Yes, thank you for the correction. This further exagerates the
>     > speed difference:
>
>     > latex -> bibtex -> latex -> latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf
>     > pdflatex -> bibtex -> pdflatex -> pdflatex
>
> You could also consider
>
>     latex -> bibtex -> latex -> pdflatex
>
> And you could convert all your jpg files to pdf because this
> speeds up the pdflatex run significantly.  Otherwise pdftex has to do
> the jpg -> pdf conversion.

not to mention converting all of them to .eps for running latex.

in fact, once you've done that, you could extract the bounding boxes
and put them in the \includegraphics statements and then run the all
but the final round with

  pdflatex \\PassOptionsToClass{draft}{myclass} \\input{myfile}

but pdflatex is still noticeably slower than latex.

robni (the typo of cambridge)