[pdftex] Optical alignment.

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Sun Mar 23 10:02:29 CET 2003

John Culleton wrote:
> Tthe optical alignment feature is one of the features that sets
> pdftex/pdflatex/Context  apart from other forms of typesetting. The
> commercial product InDesign also has this feature. Other typesetting
> systems don't, including Quark, Pagemaker etc.  So optical alignment
> is an important resource IMHO. It is beta rather than obsolete AFAIK.

The big advantage of pdftex vs InDesign is that you can configure
everything according to your fonts/characters. This isn't possible with
InDesign. A control a typographer needs, and not being patronized by
software capabilities.

> If one goes to http://pdftex.org one is forwarded to
> http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/
> ---so perhaps that would be a good place to put protcode.tex and
> abbr.tex.

BTW I think abbr.tex is nothing to be put to a public place. It contains
some private macros of Thanh. You just have to use the long form for
\multiply and \divide in your protcode.tex file.

Ulrich Dirr