[pdftex] Optical alignment.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Mar 22 12:11:14 CET 2003

On Saturday 22 March 2003 11:20 am, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> > John Culleton wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Thanks. Searching CTAN I located only one version of protcode.tex
> > > listed under obsolete/systems/pdftex/ext. That version is identical
> > > with what I have. Can you suggest a source for the newer version?
> >
> > There is no newer version if protcode.tex than the one on CTAN. It
> > doesn't recognize pdfTeX versions from 1.0 on due to wrongly nested
> > \ifnum statements. I have posted a fix in the following message to this
> > list:
> >
> > <http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/pdftex/2001-August/001475.html>
>
> i was told that there was nothing worth keeping in systems/pdftex,
> which is why i moved the whole thing to obsolete/
>
> i note that tetex, at least, doesn't carry protcode.tex (does
> miktex?), so in effect protcode.tex can be regarded as "not
> represented on ctan".  anyone got any suggestions as to where we
> should put felix's mended version, to represent a "current copy"?
>
> robin

The patch works, and fixed my problem. Many thanks. I found that a setting of
\pdfprotrudechars=1
works best for me, using Palatino.

I think I had the patched version before, forgot about the patch, and then
reloaded my TeX system. So now I am functional once again.

Tthe optical alignment feature is one of the features that sets
pdftex/pdflatex/Context  apart from other forms of typesetting. The
commercial product InDesign also has this feature. Other typesetting systems
don't, including Quark, Pagemaker etc.  So optical alignment is an important
resource IMHO. It is beta rather than obsolete AFAIK.

If one goes to http://pdftex.org one is forwarded to
http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/
---so perhaps that would be a good place to put protcode.tex and abbr.tex.

John Culleton