[pdftex] Embedding and CMYK

Kester Clegg kester at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> writes:

> Most printers require that all fonts be embedded. Is there a way to ensure
> this using e.g. pdfetex?

This has already been answered recently, and I believe is in the manual
for pdftex:

        In case the font file name is preceded by a double <<, the font
        file will be included entirely all glyphs of the font are
        embedded, including the ones that are not used in the
        document. Apart from causing large size pdf output, this option
        may cause troubles with TrueType fonts too, so it is not
        recommended. It might be useful in case the font is untypical
        and can not be subsetted well by pdfTEX. Beware: some font
        vendors forbid full font inclusion.

Read up for more info.

> Most printers want 4 color work to be cmyk. Unfortunately products such as
> Gimp produce RGB output. Is there a way via pdftex/pdfetex to ensure that
> everything in the file is expressed in cmyk terms?

I think ConTeXt has support for cmyk.  Check out

http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/cmyk-rgb.pdf

        * (Hans Hagen) This one was made to ease the choice of
           colors. It also shows the clever way in which Adobe manages
           color. I also have a DVIWINDO version, but its colors cannot
           cope. BTW, the Distiller version also shows HSB. I can
           generate pantones too, but they are (I believe) copyrighted.

k.

Kester Clegg 			Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Associate (UTC)	University of York, UK

Tel (01904) 43 27 49		email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk