[pdftex] Newbie hello... and question... :)

Mike Sowka mike at sowka.com
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Hello...
Wow! What a breath of fresh air latex is... after years of toiling with
M$ Office, StarOffice/OpenOffice etc. I've finally found the perfect
tool I can use in my trusty emacs... Anyways, that's my rant as far as
latex goes, and yes I realize this is a pdftex list so I have a question
for the gurus:
   I hope you are not all too annoyed as I think this maybe a trivial
question but here it goes: I seem to get a warning when I run pdflatex
on my VERY simple latex docs. I have tried runing pdflatex in root such
that "appropriate files/directories are created", but no luck. Here are
the warnings in question:

Warning: pdflatex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
invalid entr
y for `rtxphvbo': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
fonts

Warning: pdflatex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
invalid entr
y for `rtxphvro': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
fonts

Warning: pdflatex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
invalid entr
y for `rtxptmbo': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
fonts

Warning: pdflatex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
invalid entr
y for `rtxptmro': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
fonts

I'm sure many of you are grinning at this point at the newbie that I
am... so can any of you that are recommend anything or at least point me
in the right direction. Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated,
Thank You,
Mike