[pdftex] PDF/X compliance.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Jan 11 17:36:20 CET 2003

At 09:00 AM 1/11/2003 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:00:01 +0100
>pdftex-request at tug.org wrote:
>
> > 3. Does anyone have any experiences to share about submitting pdfetex
> > produced files for print? (Thus far I have never had a problem.)
>
>I've had only one issue, perhaps not tex-related. In one document I had
>a series of 1-bit png graphics. Most were correctly grayscale files but
>a few were color, for example:
>
>i40.png: PNG image data, 656 x 665, 1-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
>t06.png: PNG image data, 613 x 664, 1-bit colormap, non-interlaced
>
>There should gave been no differences: all appeared black-and-white. But
>on paper the background in the "color" images was a very fine "gray"
>screen. The png files were created with pnmtopng; next time I'll be sure
>that all of my original files are pbm instead of some being pgm. This
>determines whether the png file is grayscale or color. (Or maybe some of
>the switches...?)
>
>The artifact may be related to the software used at the printer; I can
>find out what that is if necessary.

a related issue is color separation, process vs spot colors, undercolor
removal, etc.; normally one uses postprocessers to deal with that (e.g.
plug ins into acrobat) but some printing houses expect separated files;
with a bit of trickery it is no problem to let tex do the separation for
everything tex/mp, the main complication there was in supporting this for
mp: shading/transparency/cmyk+spot colors (external graphics are separated
on forehand, unfortunately ghostscript cannot do that, so we handle that
with scripts)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl