[pdftex] Fonts without afm files.

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Tue Feb 18 10:57:20 CET 2003

But it has to be remembered that many digital fonts have particularly
sloppy afm files, particularly when it comes to kerning data. In
installing some fonts from Monotype I have had to adjust the kerns and
reinstall several times before the font was usable. So it is possible
to use the below mentioned tools to get the glyph dimension data, and
1) either write the kerning table oneself, or 2) use the kerning data
from a similarly styled font, copying it over, then adjusting. The
result could not be worse than some digital fonts that are out there.

(It is noteworthy that though there have been well-publicised errors in
the kerns for Monotype Garamond, for example, and though it would take
5 minutes for the company to fix the mistakes, the errors persist after
some 15 years in the market place.)

The moral is that kerning data is not something that needs to be
treated so preciously.

cheers

Adrian Heathcote