[pdftex] Fonts without afm files.

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Mon Feb 17 16:21:55 CET 2003

Le lundi 17 février 2003 à 10:34:28, John Culleton écrivit :

JC> I have the drill down now for preparing downloaded Type1 fonts for
JC> use with pdfetex. Also I have a fistful of interesting type1 fonts
JC> already on my system, such as the Freefont collection that can be
JC> used with Gimp.

JC> Problem is, the additional fonts have a pfb file but no afm file.

I thought you were something like a professional typographer. I'm
puzzled you need this info!

If you happen to have a PFB without an AFM, you'd better not use it,
unless it's monowidth.

You always can make an AFM from a PFB with gs' printafm, or getmetrics,
or whatever, but there are things in an AFM that bear importance when
doing fine prints, which you can't generate from a PFB, like kerns.

 Thierry Bouche