[pdftex] Re: TeX output as Java graphic

Laurent Siebenmann Laurent.Siebenmann at math.u-psud.fr
Fri Dec 5 21:26:37 CET 2003

Todd O'Bryan wrote on Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:33:44 -0500:

> One group is working on an algebra tutor, and for that group,
> I have my heart set on math that looks good.

> We're coding in Java, and I'd like a way to get pretty math
> in a generic graphic environment.

Hi Tom!

Have a look at Mimetex on CTAN by John Forkosh

    http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html#examples

A notable limitation/advantage is that the calculations
are done on the server; it will send bitmap images
as needed.

For a local autonomous solution try Karel Skoupy's port of TeX
to Java (skoupy atINF.ETHZ.CH).

Beware Hofstadter's Law! It always takes longer than you
expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's
Law.

Cheers

Laurent S.

** http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/pdfTeX-FAQ.pdf