[pdftex] Installing on RedHat server

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Aug 8 12:38:37 CEST 2003

On Thursday 07 August 2003 11:00, chiari mario wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last problem was a problem of permission. I overcome that.
> Unfortunately, something is still wrong.

To save time I would not try to debug the RH version but just download
a current TeXLive from www.tug.org. Currently they have two iso
images (and one consolidated dvd image). They are marked Beta but
release date is imminent. The iso image named "demo" is an abridged
version that can be run from the CDR. The one named "inst" has
everything and is for installing on your hard disk. If you don't have
a CD burner then you can mount the iso image as a file system and
unload from that, or so I am told.

TeXlive by default creates a directory /usr/TeX where everything is.
So if your old installation exists on /share or somehere else you may
have to delete it.  As with any new TeX it pays to run texhash and
fmtutil a few times until everyhing gets sorted out.  And make sure
that your default paths (in /etc/profile on my Slack system) include:
/usr/TeX/bin i386-linux.

HTH.

--
John Culleton