[pdftex] Garbling of fonts

Mr Steven McGahey s.mcgahey at uq.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 14:20:16 CEST 2003

Dear all,

About 30% of the time, when I include pdf-images in my pdflatex documents,
I experience a strange phenomena where the text-characters in my images get
subtly rearranged.  Sometimes this may involve the wrong characters in the
text (which I have partially resolved, by embedding the fonts in the pdf
images), but more often it involves the reduction of character spacing in a
word, making a word such as "example" have all of its characters in the one
x-y location.

The curious thing is that when I use Adobe Acrobat (the distilling version,
not the reader) to insert the original pdf figure as a new page, it fixes
up *that* image in the main part of the document.  Subsequently removing
this inserted page leaves the image fixed up.

I get the impression this may be a font issue, but can someone give me a
bit more direction?  It's a pain in the neck having to manually re-insert
and remove each bad image in a 140 page thesis!

Cheers,
- Steve.