[pdftex] colors in pdftex

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Wed Apr 23 00:28:09 CEST 2003

Hi,

do you need a poster macro package at all? Here is a alternative
(2-pass) which stays completely within pdftex:

Make a raw poster in smaller size by pdflatex. Set \hsize, \textwidth,
\oddsidemargin, \evensidemargin, \topskip, \headheight, \headsep,
\topmargin, \vsize, \hoffset, \voffset... to values so that you can use
the standard article class with 10/11/12pt fonts for layouting your
poster (the amount of text on the poster might be ok for about
\textwidth=300mm). As you stay with the default font design sizes, you
will not need any font trickeries due to an unusual font size, and also
no changes for math. You can use all standard packages.

Then make a framework bigposter.tex in poster size, e. g. 1 m wide,
using plain pdftex (or again pdflatex), and include your raw poster by
\pdfximage width \hsize {rawposter.pdf}. You can also add cropmarks in
this phase. Your rawposter will be nicely magnified to the final size.
But links are gone! An alternative is to use \pdfliteral{...cm} and
transform the size of your poster up; you then even don't need the
two-pass approach.

Greetings Hartmut

P.S.: pdftex as imposition tool; greetings to Martin :-)

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Verwalter Dr.Betz wrote:

> I am trying to build a poster using PDFTEX (TeXLive7).
>
> For this I am using vectorgraphics built with xfig and exported to
> pdf. These are black pen on white background.
>
> When I include them in PDFLATEX within a minipage and set the color to
> red (\color{red} ...), the graphics (\includegraphics{}) are red too.
>
> Why is this? It is different to LATEX/DVIPS (xfig -> .eps ->
> \includegraphics). For posters, it is a useful feature, because I do
> not need to adapt colors before including the graphics.
>
> Unluckily i cannot use the poster program (../supported/poster.zip)
> without converting the final PDF to EPS. And this wouldn't work using
> pdf2ps and ps2epsi from TeXLive.
>
> So how can I trick LATEX to include the graphics in the way that
> PDFLATEX does? Or is there even a poster program, that would work with
> PDF instead of EPS?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> H.Betz

Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Henkel
In den Auwiesen 6, D-68723 Oftersheim, Germany
E-Mail: hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
http://www.circuitwizard.de