[pdftex] FYI: Acrobat Reader 5.0.5

Patrick Riley pfr+pdftex at cs.cmu.edu
Tue May 21 11:31:52 CEST 2002

I have used movies in my presenations on linux. In the end it looks
good, but it's a pretty big hack to make it work. I've used mpeg and
MpegTV (http://www.mpegtv.com/) to play the movies. I have this in my
tex file:

\newcommand{\moviedir}{movies}
\newcommand{\movielink}[2][]{\href{run:\moviedir/run-#2.sh}{\includegraphics[#1]{\moviedir/#2}}}

\movielink[scale=.87]{hillclimb45}

Then in the movies directory, I have this: hillclimb45.mpg (the movie file),
hillclimb45.png (the preview image), and run-hillclimb45.sh.

The .sh file is:
#!/bin/sh

# use -G to set geometry

# I do this linking so that my window manager knows not to put a frame around this window
ln -sf `pwd`/movies/hillclimb45.mpg /tmp/no-frame-movie.mpg
mtvp -G+485+359 /tmp/no-frame-movie.mpg

Because the window come up without a frame, it looks like the movie
plays right in the presenation, but in fact it's just another
window. I have to play around with scaling and geometry stuff to make
it look right. xwininfo is your friend in that case :-)

YMMV

--
Pat Riley
Third Year Ph.D. Student